Announcement

Collapse

PLEASE READ! YOUR TIME HERE COULD DEPEND ON IT!

This is a new forum. All members must register a new account. Be sure to clear your cache and cookies to clear your computer of any issues or any past site caching. Please read the registration email you receive when signing up and follow the instructions. Check your junk/spam folder if you do not see one in your mailbox. You cannot post to the forum until this is complete.

Forum Mantra..."TREAT OTHERS AS YOU WISH TO BE TREATED" keyboard warriors not needed. Be respectful of forum admin and others at all times. Your account could be banned at anytime at Lionel Racing Admin Discrection.
See more
See less

Scanners?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scanners?

    Looking into buying a scanner. Interested in Racing Electronics Switch. Wondering if anyone has experience with one of those and the cheapest headphones they sell. Would I be able to hear i with earplugs in? It doesn't look like those offer any noise reduction? Would a better option be the earbuds? I'm trying to avoid the more expensive headphones.

    thanks

  • #2
    It looks like the Switch only has 2 programmable channels so you only get 2 drivers, fav driver and broadcast, etc. so if you wanted to be able to listen to a few drivers, it wouldn't work. I've used Uniden Bearcats in the past and now use the Racing Electionics RE2000 but a scanner is just a scanner and it's all in what you prefer to use.

    As far as headphones, I've never used earbuds or earplugs but I'd think it would depend if you use something else over your ears to drown out the noise. I could see them being fine for a bigger track but at Martinsville or Bristol where there is never a break in noise, I don't know how they would work.

    I have the RE-58 headsets and won't use anything after getting them. They drown out the noise, seal around the ears well, are very comfortable and you hear the spotter, driver, crew chief, etc. clearly. I've used others and they aren't as loud and don't seal well enough to block out all the background noise.

    Comment


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1245.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	788 i have a uniden bearcat i have never used it 100 channels high isolation headphones i have had it for quite some time it's all there 75.00 shipped also has a weather channel
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jrracer; 10-13-2019, 06:38 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jrracer View Post
        i have a uniden bearcat i have never used it 100 channels high isolation headphones i have had it for quite some time it's all there 75.00 shipped also has a weather channel
        I’d be interested in buying your scanner... pm me. Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Nascar24 View Post

          I’d be interested in buying your scanner... pm me. Thanks
          having trouble with my computer i will send asap

          Comment


          • #6
            Since this site has been redone, you have to enable private messaging in your settings...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nascar24 View Post
              Since this site has been redone, you have to enable private messaging in your settings...
              i sent the pics to my post you should be able to see them

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds like you are trying to get by spending a little as possible; which I understand. But for price difference between switch and the RE1000, I'd get the full scanner..

                I have the RE3000 and if you are going to go to several races, it's really great because you can download all the frequencies over the air; no standing in line or manual programming. Just tell it to program and in a few minutes you have all the frequencies and up to date driver info.
                --I've found that I don't like listening to the radio or TV broadcasts of the race on the scanner like lots of folks do, but rather have my 3 favorites channels set up so I always hear from my favorite drivers (funny how that works), but then also have a large number of other driver channels in my scan list so I can here spotters calling side by side situations or trouble. I feel that gives me the earliest edge in looking for action on the speedway.

                Ear buds I think would be a major fail as they wouldn't have any noise cancellation from the outside. I use their RE-24 $30 pair of head phones and they work well enough. Reasonable comfortable, seal off and plenty of volume adjustment. to be able to hear.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by brsteg View Post
                  Sounds like you are trying to get by spending a little as possible; which I understand. But for price difference between switch and the RE1000, I'd get the full scanner..

                  I have the RE3000 and if you are going to go to several races, it's really great because you can download all the frequencies over the air; no standing in line or manual programming. Just tell it to program and in a few minutes you have all the frequencies and up to date driver info.
                  --I've found that I don't like listening to the radio or TV broadcasts of the race on the scanner like lots of folks do, but rather have my 3 favorites channels set up so I always hear from my favorite drivers (funny how that works), but then also have a large number of other driver channels in my scan list so I can here spotters calling side by side situations or trouble. I feel that gives me the earliest edge in looking for action on the speedway.

                  Ear buds I think would be a major fail as they wouldn't have any noise cancellation from the outside. I use their RE-24 $30 pair of head phones and they work well enough. Reasonable comfortable, seal off and plenty of volume adjustment. to be able to hear.
                  Really I'm probably going to be most interested in the radio broadcast, maybe 1 or 2 drivers at times, for NHRA I'm gonna guess the announcers are pretty much all that is worth listening to. Not sure if WoO does anything or not.

                  do you use ear plugs with those headphones or are they unnecessary?

                  probably worthless to go with earbuds especially at an nhra race

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LGBlues19 View Post

                    Really I'm probably going to be most interested in the radio broadcast, maybe 1 or 2 drivers at times, for NHRA I'm gonna guess the announcers are pretty much all that is worth listening to. Not sure if WoO does anything or not.

                    do you use ear plugs with those headphones or are they unnecessary?

                    probably worthless to go with earbuds especially at an nhra race
                    No ear plugs.

                    Only thing you'd be able to pick up with WoO is the raceciever communication and maybe announcer feed. I listened to Lucas Oil Late Model Series raceiver feed at one race couple years ago and it's interesting but you don't gain too much information and I prefer to go old school for those type of events.
                    Last edited by brsteg; 10-15-2019, 11:39 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X